In January 2021, the SWAG community said goodbye to our dear friend and leader Joan Canton. She was a visionary and mentor to SWAG as well as a champion for the well-being of her community. In particular, she worked hard to ensure children in the SWAG neighborhoods had access to resources and learning opportunities. As a result of her vision and guidance, SWAG’s service centers continue to serve SW Gainesville. SWAG honors and celebrates her life, and her legacy lives on in our work and hearts.
SWAG Posts about Joan
- BoCC Approves Naming of Joan Canton WayIn May 2021, the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners (BoCC) unanimously approved the naming of Joan Canton Way. As a result, the portion of SW 61 Street and SW 8 Avenue between SW 20 Avenue and Tower Road will display the name of SWAG visionary Joan Canton.
- A Walking Trail Near Linton Oaks is Nearly Finished!Yesterday, we were thrilled to realize the walking trail around the new retention pond in Linton Oaks is nearly complete. We wanted to share our excitement and thank our county commissioners and county staff for making this a reality. We can’t wait for an official opening. As she has for a decade, our SWAG Vice-Chair … Continued
- Playground Naming Ceremony Honoring Joan CantonToday, SWAG and the CHILD Center honored Joan Canton, one of our SWAG co-founders and the visionary behind SWAG’s work as we announced that the new playground that is about to be built at the CHILD Center will be named in Joan’s honor. There was so much love in the room today. Joan has worked … Continued
News Media Featuring Joan Canton
- “Joan Canton” by Dr. Anthony Robinson, SYNERGY Magazine. Issue 4, 2021
- “Joan Canton, SWAG visionary, dies at 79” by Cleveland Tinker, The Gainesville Sun. January 20, 2021
- “Leader of Gainesville advocacy group dies” by WCJB. January 21, 2021
- Obituary published in The Gainesville Sun. January 21-22, 2021
- “SWAG honors founder Canton” by Cindy Swirko, The Gainesville Sun. February 8, 2020
- “SWAG reveals The CHILD Center for Early Learning” by Matthew Arrojas, WUFT. June 7, 2018
- “SWAG To Create Child Care and Early Education Center” by Brittany Valencic, WUFT. July 6, 2016
- “SWAG Center creates community when nobody else would” by Brittany Valencic, WUFT. June 29, 2016