SWAG's focus is in SW Gainesville.
SWAG is a grassroots organization that is made up of SW Gainesville Florida residents, advocates, and local agency providers who care about issues in the 32607 zip code. Our goal is to address the needs of the community by connecting individuals and families to services and resources through advocacy and support from agency and community leaders.
SWAG believes in supporting families, children and seniors.
The SW Advocacy Group is excited to announce that the Alachua County Commissioners have allocated funds to purchase and renovate a building in the heart of our SWAG neighborhoods to serve as a resource center in SW Gainesville. Our SWAG Center will strive to meet the needs of families and children in our area by providing support and connection to services in this historically under-served area.
The philosophy of family support is part of a national movement which seeks to strengthen and empower families and communities so they can foster the best possible development of children, youth and adults. Broad community partnerships are at the heart of service and program delivery with an emphasis on child development, self sufficiency, and health and safety.
Our SWAG Center will be a fun, inviting place for families to come on a day-to-day basis. In addition to residents long established in the area, our center will also be a welcoming place for those who have recently moved to the area, giving them the opportunity to meet new friends and gain support in this part of Alachua County.
SWAG’s resource center would not be possible without a strong, collaborative partnership between community groups and agencies committed to families in our community. In addition to the 35+ partners eager to support our center, the purchase and renovation of our SWAG Center would not be possible without the following major partners:
· Alachua County Board of Commissioners, our County Manager and County Staff
· The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, whose support of SWAG through their Crime Prevention Bureau provides assistance with grants and aids our collaborative efforts community-wide
· Partnership for Strong Families, whose support will provide a full-time Center Manager, as well as the costs associated with the ongoing operation of the center
· Partners for a Productive Community/The Preservation and Enhancement District of Linton Oaks, Gordon Manor and Holly Heights, who have contributed a vacant lot adjacent to the resource center to be established as a playground for children 12 years and under
· Rotary Foundation of Gainesville, Inc. through their generous Wild Game Feast Grant which will enable us to furnish our resource center
Families are encouraged to visit the SWAG Center upon opening in the late spring or early summer 2012 to discover the many opportunities available for parents, children and teens. It is our goal to foster a warm environment where caring staff and other families offer families and individuals support, opportunities and new friendships.